Sunday, July 1, 2012

7.00 Reporter's Notebook




Prior to taking Journalism 1 on FLVS, I thought a journalist was someone who captured a moment in time that was of interest to the public through video, writing or photography. I was aware that journalists had a code of ethics they needed to follow, and knew the majority of those rules. I understood the difference between impartial writing and opinion writing before enrolling in this course. The primary reason I decided to take Journalism 1 is because I knew I wanted to be a journalist one day.

Overall, my definition and thoughts towards the purpose of journalism has remained unchanged. But I had a lot of prior knowledge about journalism before taking this course. I know that if you don't religiously follow your company's code of ethics, then you will be fired immediately and your company might suffer from major consequences if your breech in ethics was significant enough. My understanding between opinion writing and impartial writing has remained the same. I've always known you're supposed to remain unbiased in impartial writing, but you're allowed to reflect your feelings in opinion writing. I am still interested in a journalism career, as I have always been. Journalism gives me an opportunity to stay informed about what's going on in my community, and tell others about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment